Wednesday 29 January 2014

Hidden Star Cake

2014Jan29 Baking hidden star cake
I did some more baking on the weekend – this time I baked a sponge with a hidden star in it.  I have seen cakes with hidden designs on the Great British Bake Off and Pinterest (including some amazingly detailed ones I have pinned here) and thought they looked so good but must be hard to do.  Making this cake with a star was actually quite simple – I’m so pleased with how it turned out!

First I baked a strawberry flavoured sponge, coloured with red food colouring.  When this was cool I used a star cookie cutter to cut the sponge, and arranged the stars in a ring inside a round sponge tin so that every slice of cake would look like the photo above.  I then filled the tin, covering the stars, with a vanilla sponge.  I’ve never double baked a sponge like this before and thought it might make the cake a bit dry, so was pleasantly surprised with the end result which tasted as good as it looked!
Here’s how the uncut cake looked, decorated with buttercream, fondant stars and sprinkles…

2014Jan29 Baking hidden star cake 2
Have you ever baked a hidden surprise cake before - what design did you bake?

No comments:

Post a Comment