Friday 28 October 2016

My Entry to Spoonflower's 'Lace Gift Wrap' Design Contest

If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook you will already have seen a peek at my design for this week's Spoonflower contest: Lace Gift Wrap. Inspired by images of vintage lace, which I found on Pinterest, I created a detailed, floral and leaf pattern.  Everything in this design was hand drawn in black pen (I like to use Faber Castell PITT artist pens), before being scanned and assembled into the finished pattern digitally.  As the design was too large to fit on 1 sheet of A4 I had to draw it on several sheets of paper...

Spoonflower Contest - Lace Gift Wrap, finished White on Charcoal hand drawn surface pattern designs by Hazel Fisher Creations

My original idea was to create a full lacy pattern, like in the version on the right below.  It took much longer than I expected to draw out though (hours!), so I didn't have time to draw all the fill in lines between the main flower and leaf elements before the contest deadline.  I really wanted to enter the contest though, so decided to finish the design in a simpler way and entered the version on the left.  I like this design too, it's just not as much like lace as the one on the right.  Which one do you prefer?

Spoonflower Contest - Lace Gift Wrap, black and white finished hand drawn surface pattern designs by Hazel Fisher Creations
Once I have ordered some samples, both of the versions above will be available to buy from my Spoonflower shop.  I'm also enjoying playing around with different colours, so I'll be test printing a few other versions too.  For the design below I inverted the original, to make the drawing white and layered it on a charcoal (dark grey) background.

Spoonflower Contest - Lace Gift Wrap, finished White on Charcoal hand drawn surface pattern designs by Hazel Fisher Creations
You can see all of the other entries in the contest, and vote for your favourites, here:

PS Thank you if you voted for my design in last week's contest! (Toucan Tea Towel Calendar) My design came 92nd out of 209 entries (places 90, 91 and 92 all had 70 votes).  As I mentioned in my blog post last week, there were so many lovely designs - I was pleased to spot that several of the designs I voted for made it into the top 10 and top 25! You can see the winning entry on Spoonflower's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment