Sunday 21 March 2010

Colchester Zoo

Last Sunday I went to Colchester zoo, it was a great day out and I took lots of reference photos and did some sketches too for doing animal paintings from later. We had our first picnic of the year too! Spring has really started in the last week or so and it's great to be able to go outside without freezing! :D

Here are just a few of the photos I took:I was impressed with some of the changes the zoo has made since my last visit. There are more enclosures that you can walk into with the animals now - like the wallabies, and there are more opportunities to take photos of the animals without having to look through glass. The new orang utan house has been opened too - it's a much bigger enclosure, the only downside was that the orang utans seemed so popular this time it was hard to get close enough to see them well. On my last visit I stood drawing one of the orang utans for several minutes and he seemed quite interested in what I was doing. They seem so intelligent I'd love to be able to spend more time drawing them again next time!

I'm working on some animal paintings at the moment (they need to be finished this week for a local exhibition!) - so look out for some animal artwork soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment