Friday 11 November 2016

5 Things to Love About Autumn

Things to Love About Autumn, sketchbook drawing inspired by Autumn by Hazel Fisher Creations
Autumn isn't my favourite time of year, as soon as summer starts to fade and the days begin to get shorter, colder and wetter I start to feel a bit sad at the thought of next spring being so far away. However, rather than dwelling on the negative, I thought I would come up with a list of things to love about Autumn. I actually do really love having 4 different seasons with all the changes in weather that brings.  I think I would get bored pretty quickly if everyday was the same!


Things to Love About Autumn, Autumn Leaves photography by Hazel Fisher Creations
1. The Changing Colours
The best thing about Autumn is seeing the changing colours in nature.  All the shades of red, orange and yellow are beautiful!  The Schumach tree in our garden has a lovely range of colours, it's one of the first trees with leaves to change and fall but is over so quickly, so I wanted to capture some of their beauty with some photos.

Things to Love About Autumn, Autumn Leaves photography by Hazel Fisher Creations
2. Autumnal Collections
It's fun to collect leaves, acorns and chestnuts in Autumn.  I also use the things I collect as inspiration for drawing and new designs.

Things to Love About Autumn, Autumn Leaves and Chestnuts photography by Hazel Fisher Creations
3. Harvest Time
We had a bumper crop of pears from our garden this year.  I don't know whether my tastes have changed, or we just had nicer pears, because I don't usually really like them that much but this year I've liked them more!  I've had pear cooked with my porridge for breakfast and we have made pear crumble for dessert.  We like to mix a little ginger and cinnamon with the pears in the crumble for added flavour.  We've been sharing our harvest with our neighbours (there are only so many pears you can eat!!) and our neighbours have shared theirs with us too.  I helped my sister bake this delicious apple pie with our neighbour's apples.

Things to Love About Autumn, Autumn Leaves and Chestnuts photography by Hazel Fisher Creations
4. Cosy Blankets
My favourite thing to do in the dark evenings is curl up on the sofa, under a cosy blanket, and watch a DVD.  I have a tradition of watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer at Halloween (I have box sets for all 7 series), I think having some more Buffy evenings this Autumn are a good idea!

5. Watching Fireworks on Bonfire Night
Last Saturday was Bonfire Night and we saw plenty of fireworks! From our house we can see some of the display from the big village show and several neighbours had fireworks too.

Things to Love About Autumn, Autumn Leaves and Chestnuts photography by Hazel Fisher Creations

While I'm writing about Autumn I thought I'd also share an interesting fact I found out recently!
I was wondering why we call the season 'Autumn' here in the UK but in North America it's called 'Fall', so I looked it up.  Apparently the season was usually called harvest before the 16th century, but as more people began to live in towns rather than the country the words 'autumn' (from the Latin autumnus) and 'fall' (a short version of 'fall of the leaf' or 'fall of the year') became more common.  British settlers to North America took both words with them, but over time Fall became the common term in North America while in Britain we now use Autumn.  Interesting how language evolves!

Whether you call the season Autumn or Fall, do you love it or wish it would pass more quickly?  Share your favourite things about the season in the comments below!

Things to Love About Autumn, Autumn Leaves photography by Hazel Fisher Creations

No comments:

Post a Comment