Friday 21 October 2016

My Entry to Spoonflower's Annual Tea Towel Calendar Contest - 2017 Tropical Toucan

It's that time of year again - time for Spoonflower's annual tea towel calendar contest!  This year I decided to go for a tropical theme and created a design featuring a colourful toucan surrounded by leaves (I love to draw birds!).  Here's what the finished design looks like...

Spoonflower Contest entry - Toucan Tea Towel Calendar design by Hazel Fisher Creations
This design started off as sketches in my sketchbook, I then made a rough drawing with pencil on paper of the toucan bird and individual leaves.  Next, I used pen to create a neat line drawing...

Spoonflower Contest entry - Toucan Tea Towel Calendar design in progress by Hazel Fisher CreationsI then scanned my line drawings and arranged them into the design I wanted for the tea towel.  I also added the calendar dates and moved everything around until I was happy with the overall layout.  The final step was to digitally colour everything - starting with flat colours, then adding some shading...

Spoonflower Contest entry - Toucan Tea Towel Calendar design in progress by Hazel Fisher Creations
As always, there are lots of lovely designs entered into the contest - you can see them all here, and vote for your favourties too!
Spoonflower 2017 Tea Towel Calendar contest

My design isn't available to buy yet, but will be once I have had a proof print made - I'll post an update when it is ready for sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment