Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Printables Basics - File Types and Which Programs to Use With Them

This post is part of my Printables Basics series, where I share tips, advice and tutorials on downloading and using printables.  If you missed my previous posts you can find them here:


In this post I will be covering the file types I use for my printables and some programs you can open them with.

You will find most printables are available in one of these file types: PDF or JPG.  I use both of these, but prefer to use JPG for most of my printable designs as they are image based and I prefer the way colours are saved in this format.

I won't go into the finer details of the file types here (although if you want more info you can find it here for PDF and JPG), but will focus on what programs you can use to open them.

Opening PDF printable sheet - Printables Basics, File Types and Programs to Use - Hazel Fisher Creations
PDF files can be opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader, which you probably already have on your computer but if you don't you can download it for free here. One advantage of the PDF over JPG is that you can have multiple pages in one document - so I have used this for my Rainbow Watercolour Spots Calendar printable, which has 12 pages; one for each month.

Opening Printable Sheet in Serif Photoplus - Printables Basics, File Types and Programs to Use - Hazel Fisher Creations
JPG files can be opened by most imaging software.  For most of my designs a really basic photo viewing program is all you need to open, view and print the sheets.  For some designs though, like my digital stamps, you may want to resize the images before printing.  You can do this in word processing or image editing software.  Image editing software will give you far more options and control with creating and editing images - as well as resizing you can colour, layer images and lots more.  I use Serif PhotoPlus - a photo editing software similar to Photoshop (but much more affordable)! Other alternatives include Adobe Photoshop Elements, GIMP or PicMonkey.
If you simply want to resize and print then you can use word processing software like Microsoft Word.

To open an image in Microsoft Word:
First, create a new document.
Then from the menu select: Insert > Picture and choose the name of the file you want to open. The picture will then be pasted onto your document, where you can resize and print it.

Opening Digital Stamp in Microsoft Word - Printables Basics, File Types and Programs to Use - Hazel Fisher Creations
Next time I will be sharing some tips on printing!


Where to find my printables
I have a wide range of craft papers and party printables for sale in my Etsy shop; hfcSupplies.
You can also try some of my printables for free!  I have a selection available to access through my blog, which you can find here. If you sign up to my newsletter you will be able to gain access to some free printables available exclusively to subscribers!
Sign up to my newsletter here.

Printables Basics - How to Download digital items. Free printables from Hazel Fisher Creations

No comments:

Post a Comment