Thursday 29 September 2016

Teaching on Skillshare - Crochet for Beginners!

Crochet for Beginners Learn How to Make a Simple Bracelet Skillshare class by Hazel Fisher Creations
Do you have things that you have wanted to do for a long time, but never seem to quite get around to doing?  For me, one of those things was to make craft videos.  There are a few reasons why I have been putting it off - I wasn't quite sure how to technically do it, and I'm an introvert so speaking/ appearing on screen is quite daunting!

Well, I had a little push towards actually doing something after receiving an email from Skillshare inviting me to join their community of teachers and create my own online class.  If you've not come across Skillshare before (I hadn't before they contacted me), here is a bit about them...

Skillshare is an online community where you can take (or teach) classes on a wide range of subjects including Art and Design, Crafts, Cooking, Photography, Business and more.  Classes are project based, so you get to learn new skills through actually trying something out for yourself. While I've been preparing my own class to teach I have also come across lots of great classes by other people that I definitely want to try out!
There are some free classes, but most are in their 'Premium' category which require you to take out a paid membership to Skillshare.  Once you are a Premium Member though you will have unlimited access to all classes across the site. (See the end of this post for a great offer on membership!)

Crochet for Beginners Learn How to Make a Simple Bracelet Skillshare class by Hazel Fisher Creations
I joined their September Teach Challenge and have spent the last few weeks learning how to plan, film, edit and publish my class - there is so much to learn! I haven't quite overcome my fear of being on the camera - I did record my voice and my hands demonstrating, but filming my face is something I've not done - yet! (If you're thinking about teaching a class yourself I would definitely recommend taking part in one of the monthly Teach Challenges, as they guide you through everything you need to know to get started.)

Crochet for Beginners Learn How to Make a Simple Bracelet Skillshare class by Hazel Fisher Creations
I decided to keep things fairly simple to begin with; my first class is an introduction to crochet, teaching basic skills to get started by making a simple bracelet. The class is aimed at people who have never tried crochet before, or have tried to crochet in the past but struggled to learn the skill.

The class is broken down into short videos; I start by talking a little about the materials you will need. I then show you how to start crocheting, make a slip stitch and chain stitch to make a simple bracelet.  I also show you how to add beads as you crochet and give you some other ideas of how you can make the bracelet your own. The bracelets are really fun to make, and quite addictive too - once you've made one you will want to make more!

Here is the introduction video from my class...


I plan to follow up this class with another one, where I will teach more crochet stitches and guide you through another fun crochet project.

To help my first class get some visibility on Skillshare's site, it would mean a lot if you would enrol in my class!
As a special introductory offer the first 20 people to use this link can enrol in my class for free! Click here to enroll now! It only takes a minute to enrol, is totally free, and will help my class trend, which means that more students on Skillshare will be able to discover it. My goal is to reach 25 students and 5 reviews by next Friday.  If you don't have time to watch the videos right away, I totally understand, but I would really appreciate it if you can leave feedback as soon as you get the chance.  Thanks so much for your support!

If you miss out on the first 20 free places, I have another offer to share with you - you can get your first 3 months of Premium membership for just $0.99, which will give you access to my class and thousands of other classes on Skillshare! (If you don't want to be charged the full rate at the end of the first 3 months, you can cancel your Premium Membership before the 3 months is up.)

[Disclosure: This post contains referral links to Skillshare, which is partly how Skillshare pays its teachers. If you take up a Premium Membership through the link I share I will earn a referral bonus. Thanks for your support!]

No comments:

Post a Comment