Friday 22 April 2016

Spoonflower Contest - Japanese Garden

Spoonflower Contest Entry Japanese Garden, surface pattern design by hazelfishercreations
This month Spoonflower have partnered with Sprout Patterns for their design contest.  The theme is Japanese Garden and the winning design will be featured in the release of a new kimono sewing pattern!
I enjoyed having longer to work on this contest, which gave me the opportunity to spend time researching ideas, sketching and finally pulling my ideas together into a finished pattern.  I collected some of my inspiration on this board on Pinterest - like beautiful flowers and kimonos.  
I sketched ideas which included different flowers, birds and butterflies, but in the end decided to keep the design a little simpler, by creating a repeat made from intertwined cherry blossom and anemones, with a butterfly.

Spoonflower Contest Japanese Garden sketchbook - hazelfishercreations
I'm happy with how this design turned out - as well as making it available to buy on fabric, giftwrap and wallpaper on Spoonflower, I plan to use it on products in my Society6 shop.  For the contest, I chose a turquoise shade for the background colour but I also plan to have some test swatches printed in other colours - I tried grey for the background and think this looked nice too.

Voting is now open (until 27th April) on Spoonflower http://www.spoonflower.com/sprout-design-challenge. I noticed that there are 705 entries - so lots of people were inspired by this theme!  I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else came up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment