Friday 15 May 2015

How to Make: 'Celebrate' Citrus Cake Card using the Silhouette Cameo to cut text

Celebrate Citrus Cake Card diy tutorial hazel fisher creations 1b
I am loving bright citrus colours at the moment – like in the colour palette I made from my birthday flowers.  I used this palette as inspiration for this card which is made with a patterned scrapbooking paper and digital stamp which I designed.  This card was also a good opportunity to make my first tutorial using my Silhouette Cameo cutting machine which I introduced earlier this week – I used it to cut the text on this card.  If you don't have a cutting machine you could cut the text by hand, print the word onto paper and stick to your card or hand draw it directly onto the card.


To make this card you will need:
  • White A6 card blank
  • Printable orange chevron patterned paper (see end of post)
  • Printable cupcake with a candle digital stamp (see end of post)
  • white card and paper
  • Coloured pencils and/or pens
  • 3x gems (I used pink and yellow round 5mm gems)
  • 3mm wide satin ribbon (I used lime green)
  • glitter glue
  • glue, double sided tape and foam pads
  • scissors, craft knife and cutting machine
  • Silhouette Cameo 2 cutting machine and Silhouette Studio software
  • Computer and home printer

1.  First you will need to print the patterned scrapbooking paper onto white paper and cupcake digital stamp onto white card.

2.  Cut the word 'Celebrate' with the Silhouette Cameo, using Silhouette Studio software:

Type the word 'Celebrate' (I used the font ‘Lobster’, which is free to download if you don’t already have it installed on your computer.)   I adjusted the size of the word so that the letters were approximately 3/4 inch tall.

Celebrate Citrus Cake Card diy tutorial silhouette cameo hazel fisher creations 3

You will see that some of the letters overlap. We just want to cut the outline, not where the letters overlap, so in 'Cut Settings', select 'Cut Edge'.

Celebrate Citrus Cake Card diy tutorial silhouette cameo hazel fisher creations 4

I cut the word from white card, with the ratchet blade set to no.2.  (I recommend doing a test cut first to check which setting you need).  After cutting the word I coloured it with pink felt tip pen – you could just cut it from pink card!

3. Glue the word ‘Celebrate’ onto the card blank.  Then stick the orange patterned background paper onto the card blank – lining it up with the word ‘Celebrate’, leaving a small gap between the word and background paper.  Trim the background paper to the size of the card.

4. Colour the cupcake (I used coloured pencils) then cut out leaving a small border around the edge.

5. Glue the ribbon along the edge of the orange patterned paper.  Glue 3 gems below the word ‘Celebrate’.  Then attach the cupcake to the card using foam pads.

6. Finally add some sparkle with glitter glue on the cupcake!

Happy crafting!

Celebrate Citrus Cake Card diy tutorial hazel fisher creations 4
About the papers used in this project: The printable scrapbooking paper and digital stamp I used in this card are both my own designs and are available to buy from my Etsy shop – the orange chevron paper is from the Citrus set of scrapbooking papers and the cupcake is from my Cupcakes and Roses set of digital stamps.

Celebrate Citrus Cake Card diy tutorial hazel fisher creations 2

No comments:

Post a Comment