Friday 18 January 2013

Painting Cats

Pet cat portrait 1
Just before Christmas I received a commission to paint this pet cat portrait.  I enjoy the challenge of capturing animals on paper and it’s lovely to be able to make something special for someone.

When I paint a portrait I work from several different photos to create a unique piece – so I can change the background or combine  different images to get the right pose.  Once the rough sketch has been approved I can start work on the final painting.  I work with pencil and watercolours, gradually building up layers of paint.  I also used masking fluid in this portrait to keep highlights such as the whiskers.
Pet cat portrait 2
I recently updated the ‘animal art’ page on my website which has a little bit more information on how my pet portrait commissions work.

No comments:

Post a Comment